Who can apply?
Who can take part in the scheme?
Please note: You are not eligible if you have LESS THAN 4 YEARS or MORE THAN 6 YEARS service (from your Enlistment date)
The Armed Forces Home Ownership Scheme is available to qualifying regular serving members of the British Armed Forces who cannot otherwise afford to buy a home on the open market. There is no restriction on level of household income. Funding for the scheme is limited and applications will be taken on a first come, first served basis. Please note that 2013/2014 is the last year of this Pilot scheme and we therefore cannot guarantee that funds will be available to all applicants.
Qualifying Criteria for All Applicants
- Must meet the basic MOD eligibility requirements for the scheme, in particular that you have between 4 - 6 years continuous service at the point of application. We will seek confirmation of this from the MOD.
- The start date used is 'The date an individual commences Regular Service in the Armed Forces'.
- Must be able to demonstrate access to savings or sufficient funds to pay a deposit (which may be 5% or more of the purchase price), legal fees, stamp duty and other costs of moving.
- Must be able to sustain home ownership in the longer term.
- Must have a good credit history - if you have rent arrears during the previous 12 months, are in breach of your current tenancy agreement, or have an adverse credit history, including County Court Judgements, which means you are unlikely to be able to sustain ownership, you will not be eligible for the Armed Forces Home Ownership Scheme.
- If an existing homeowner is approved as eligible, their existing home MUST be sold prior to exchange of contracts on their new home.
- Must not be named on the deeds of any other property.
If you have any questions about whether or not you are eligible, please contact us on 0800 028 1980 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not eligible for the Armed Forces Home Ownership Scheme, or feel this scheme is not suited to your needs, there are a range of other schemes designed to help you get a foot on the housing ladder, or to find an affordable home to rent. For more details, find your local HomeBuy Agent here, or visit the website of the Joint Services Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)